What is Athens?
Athens is an authentication system which the Library uses to provide access to electronic resources such as journals and databases. You don't need a separate Athens username or password as you will be automatically authenticated when you login to the Portal or click on the Library Services Link in Blackboard Learn
- When you login in through the Portal, remember to always wait for the "You are now authenticated to Athens" message to display on screen before proceeding to the Library & ICT tab. The short video below will show you this process.
What to do if asked for an "Athens" password
Very occasionally, you may see a login box asking for an Athens username and password. ignore these boxes and instead click on the Alternative Login, this will direct you back to the University of Ulster.
Other access issues
Occasionally we may be unable to provide electronic access due to subscription restrictions. To find out if any restrictions are in place for a journal check the notes field on its entry in the Electronic Journal Catalogue.
Common restrictions include:
The Library's electronic resources are compatible with all Internet Browsers including Internet Explorer and Firefox.
Some browser tips
- Delete cookies on a regular basis:
open the Tools tab on your browser and choose the option Delete Cookies
- Can't see new pages? Make sure your pop up blocker is turned off, again find this in the Tools tab.
- Sometimes switching browser will resolve the issue, for example switching from IE to Google Chrome will resolve the problem if a Knovel electronic book's text does not appear.
If you are using a Mac or iPad and are unable to access the Library's services, even though you have logged into the Portal and gone through the Athens Authentication, you made need to change your Safari browser settings
Smart Phones and Tablets
If you are having difficulties finding the Sign In or Athens Authentication on a suppliers mobile site, you may need to go to their full website in order to sign in and view full text.
Accessing full text on Google Scholar
What to do if prompted to login
Off campus some resources require an additional login, ignore any requests for payment or to put in a username and password and instead look for the OpenAthens or Institutional login link.
What you will see can differ between each journal, take a look at the below screenshots and videos to help guide you through the off campus screens.
Off Campus Guides Specific Resources - Screenshots
- ACM Digital Library
- BMJ Journals
- Cambridge University Press Journals
- Dawson Books
- EBSCO off campus
- Informa Healthcare
- Legal Databases
- Literature Online
- MyiLibrary e-books
- Ovid Resources
- Oxford Journals
- Safari Books Off Campus
- Taylor & Francis
- Web Of Science
- Wiley Online Library